You Must Register by June 20th to be Eligible for All Meets
WANT TO JOIN US FOR THE FIRST TIME?
In order to join the Pound Ridge Swim & Dive Team, you must:
- Be a Pound Ridge resident
- Have a current and paid-up Town Pool permit (application forms can be found in the Pound Ridge Recreation Department's Spring/Summer brochure).
- Be at least 5 years of age and not older than 18 years of age. (Note the age of new registrants is as of July 1.)
- Pay team registration fees. Fees for 2014 are $100 for the first swimmer/diver and $200 for a family of swimmers/divers. Register at the Recreation Dept in the Town House (forms are available at the Town or print from the summer brochure).
- Participate with coach in try-out process for swim or dive if new to the team.
1) To be a team diver, you must at least:
- Be able to dive (not jump) off the diving board. (Yes that's it; our awesome coaches will do the rest to teach you the dives you need to compete.) Please note that depending on the number of would-be divers, the Town reserves the right to limit the number of dive registrants. This is for the health and safety of all participants.
2) To be a team swimmer, you must:
- Be able to swim the length of the competition pool (25 yards), demonstrating continuous, horizontal, unassisted, unsupported movement.
You can come at practice time and approach a coach to arrange a time. If the coaches decide a would-be swimmer needs further development before joining the team, note that the Town offers great swim instruction through its Little Dolphins program. (Contact the Recreation Office for details/sign-up.)
DO ALL SWIM & DIVE REGISTRANTS COMPETE IN MEETS?
The Northern Westchester Swim Conference is designed to encourage all levels of participation in swimming and diving, so every registrant is entitled to swim or dive in some type of meet, though some meets are more competitive than others.
'B' meets are designed to provide novice and intermediate athletes with opportunities to compete. B swim and dive meets are held separately; swim meets are not scored. Every registrant is entitled to participate (unless they have already taken a winning spot in an 'A' meet).
Dual 'A' meets are competitive meets in which one team competes directly against another. There are limits on the number of swimmers, divers, and events. Swimming and diving events are scored, and those scores are combined to determine the final outcome.
The team's A-meet record for the season determines whether they remain in their current division, or go up or down. We cannot guarantee that all registrants will earn a spot in 'A' meets. Don't, however, assume you won't get an 'A' meet spot. The vagaries of scoring summer swimming, and the fact that our team is relatively small, mean swimmers and divers are often drafted when they least expect it!
CAN I REGISTER AS A SWIMMER AND A DIVER?
Absolutely. Training times may overlap briefly in pre-season, but during the season, swimmers and divers train separately, so go for it! If you want to just swim or just dive, you can do that too!